You are about to be taken behind the curtain of OnePlayerDown and the programming side of the platform.
We needed, as part of our Rules of the Games, to have a lot of profile photos uploaded to the platform and that can cause a lot of repetitive tasks to be run in the background leading to loading issues. So Matthias decided to write a new buildpack to optimize the images this task.
Here is it describe in a more technical detail in the words of Matthias himself:
- Heroku provides Node.js support using their own Node.js buildpack
- Before my buildpack you had to run the Grunt tasks locally first, then publish to Heroku
- With my buildpack you can simply publish to Heroku and the Grunt tasks are performed on their server
- It’s very flexible, people write their own tasks etc.
- Currently 74 people have “starred” the project on Github, and there are a lot of forks (people cloning the project and making their own changes to it)
- Matthias is active at the Heroku buildpack discussion board if you have questions
So if you are a programmer, have a look at it and we would be more than happy if you used it.